Every sailor knows that good preparation is key for a successful day on board. In addition to ensuring that your yacht is well maintained and that there is enough food, drinks and sunscreen on board we’ve got a rather handy tip for you. Nowadays probably every sailor has got an electronic device like a phone or tablet on board, so we have sorted out some handy apps for you to use while sailing to make things a bit easier for you.
Navigation apps for sailing
Tides planner – Imray
For iOS users we found this app for sailing at sea, you can plan your routes and even share
them with your friends. Some features of this app are:
- Routes including distances, goals and bearings
- A magnetic compass
- Course to be followed, speed and bearing.
- No internet connection required
- Tidal graphs
Tides planner has got many many more incredible features, and you can download it for free in the App Store. It will have a few features locked unless you buy an extension. Tides planner is only available for iOS users, meaning you will only be able to download this app when you are using an iPhone or iPad.
Boating marine & lakes – Navionics
For both iOs and Android users we recommend downloading the app Boating Marine & Lakes from Navionics. It is an indispensable app for cruising, fishing, sailing, diving and other water activities. The app holds detailed marine and lake nautical charts and advanced features like:
- Chart layers for offline use
- Up to 5,000 updates daily
- Advanced map options and nautical charts
- Current weather information, tides and forecasts
- The possibility to connect with fellow boaters on and off the water
- Satellite images provided by a third party
You can try out the Navionics app with a 15 day long free trial!
Weather apps for sailing
Wind and Waves – Wisuki
The Wisuki Wind and Waves app is available for both iOS and Android users. The app is a powerful wind, waves and tide forecast app. Wind and Waves holds advanced features that allow you to instantly find amazing spots based on your preferred conditions, and analyzes forecast data with an unprecedented level of accuracy. Some other features of this app are:
- Posting sessions, sharing them private or public and liking and commenting
- Searching and being able to follow other users
- Finding nearby favorite and custom spots
- Tide trend and tide height in percentages
- Animated wind and waves arrows overlaid on spot map
- Time to next high and low tide
For the Wisuki Wind and Waves app there is both a free and paid version available, you can cancel the paid version any time you’d like. The free version might keep some (popular) features locked.
Windfinder: Wind and Weather charts
The Windfinder app is available for both Android and iOS users. This app is mainly targeted
towards sailing but is also suitable for other water activities. The Windfinder app holds a lot
of useful information, so we’ve listed a few features:
- The app interface is quite easy to use, even with wet or cold hands
- Detailed wind and weather forecasts for more than 45.000 locations
- Optimized view of forecasts and reports for optimal readability on every mobile device
- Topographic maps for quick overview when sailing
- Very useful for kite- and windsurfing, you can easily find a storm or strong wind
- New wind and weather widgets
In both the App Store and Google Play Store you can find the Windfinder and the Windfinder Pro apps. The Windfinder Pro version holds a few extra features such as no advertisements, weather alarms and more. We recommend taking a look at it.
Yacht management apps
Yacht Manager App: ManagerApp
The Yacht Manager App is the finest assistant to any boating, sailing and yachting management organization. The Yacht manager app is available for iOS users. The app tracks, catalogs and counts daily and recurrent tasks, routes, checklists, costs, repairs, inventory and much more. The app holds all those features to make your yacht organization more fun and professional. We’ve listed our favorite features of the Yacht Manager App for you:
- Daily plans
- Checklists with over 150 presets
- Inventory with over 1000 pre-set items
- Route checklists, schedules, tracking and recordings
- Pre-route low fuel warnings linked with cost module
- Keeping and sharing yacht contact
You can try out the Yacht Manager App with a free trial.
Knot skill apps
Knots Guide Free
If you are having a hard time remembering knots, or if you just started learning them, Knots Guide Free is probably a really handy app for you to download. The app is available for both Android and iOS users and will give you access to over a 100 different knots including instructions and photos. Besides those features, the Knots Guide Free app also makes it possible to save your favorite knots and makes it easy to find them once you have saved them to your favorites. You can download the Knots Guide Free app for free in both the Google Play Store and the App Store.
For both Android and iOS users there is this paid knots app available. Knots 3D gives you access to 120 knots in 3D for just €2,29. Knots 3D holds a separate category for nautical knots, this can be very useful to beginners, or to more advanced yachters to freshen up your memory a bit. Watch the knots tie themselves in 3D and pause the animations at any time to take a closer look at the knots, or perhaps slow the animation down.
About Yacht Registration Holland
Please note that we are an experienced boat registration company with a service record of more than 10 years. We serve customers from all over the world. If you have any doubts, please read the feedback that we have been given by our satisfied customers. Yacht Registration Holland is a company that offers a wide range of services to its clients concerning boat registration. Take a look at different yacht registrations or AIS & MMSI Service. Our main business is yacht registration and nothing else. Feel free to get in contact with us. Our service staff is happy to help you with any questions.